A while ago I noticed that the RSS feed for MyPieceOfTheInter(.)net stopped working. Strict XML parsers like those in Google Chrome and Internet Explorer refused to parse the RSS feed. Looking around different places, I found that a lot of weirdness was happening.
Viewing the source of the homepage reveled that there were unexpected linebreaks at the top of the document.
Internet Explorer 8, Microsoft’s up-and-coming browser to supersede Internet Explorer 7, has a very different layout engine than it’s predecessor. IE8’s engine is much more standards-compliant than any version of IE so far. Standards-compliance is great, but for IE it does yield some unfortunate consequences. Websites that produce special code for pages downloaded with IE7 often send the same quirky code to IE8, which renders the page according to the “official rules”. The end result is a webpage that doesn’t look right.
IE8 has a few features for the transition time between now and when IE7 (and older) usage drops to an insignificant level. First is Compatibility View. If the user sees a website that isn’t rendering correctly (for example, my website right now), he can click the “broken page” button in the navigation bar.