Transcode video. Wow! I’m transcoding my raw DVD rip collection so that I have a mirrored copy that can play on my Xbox 360.
As promised, here is the first release of DVD Cover Art Finder (version 22.214.171.124), along with the source code. Read on for download links and a usage tutorial.
I hopped to get it out today, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.
Over the past few months I have really gotten into ripping DVDs to my computer in full quality (without re-compressing the video), so that I could play them in Media Center just as though I had put in the physical disk. (I learned how to do that from a blog post on a Microsoft student site.) Since each disk contains about 7.2GB of data, this did require getting a little more hard drive space. Since I started I have ripped about 250 DVDs, but I had only taken the time to manually get the cover art for the first few that I ripped. Getting coverart for the DVDs to show up in Media Center required going to Amazon.com, searching for the DVD, clicking through to the large picture of the box cover, saving that image, cropping it, and moving it to the DVD folder and naming it “folder.jpg”. That was more mindless work than I wanted to put up with, so I did a little research.